My daughter and I both love Greek salads, and we often order them with chicken. It seems like there is a Greek restaurant on every other corner in the Detroit area, so it’s easy for us to fulfill a Greek salad cravings. The other night I had some leftover grilled chicken and it occurred to me that I could easily put together a salad. My friend jokes that when we go out, I always get a salad- this is only partially true- the reason is that I love good entree salads, but I just don’t make them at home very often. As standard when I make one of my kids’ favorite dishes, I got the question: “Why don’t you make this all the time?” The homemade dressing is easy, but the alternative is to buy bottled Greek dressing. I have not listed ingredient amounts because that is a personal preference. The dressing, however, makes 6 Servings.
- Mixed greens (or use Romaine or a good leaf lettuce)
- Grilled Chicken – shredded (or you can use rotisserie chicken – skin removed)
- Cherry or Grape Tomatoes – halved
- Feta Cheese*
- Red Onion – sliced and cut into 1/2- 3/4″ lengths
- English (seedless) Cucumber – sliced
- Cooked Beets (can use canned)- sliced or cut into cubes
- Kalmata Olives
* I don’t buy crumbled feta because I think it is too dry. I buy the feta that comes in a block in liquid and crumble it myself (this also allows me to control the size of my crumbles). You can substitute reduced fat or fat free feta, but both will be drier.
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. dried Basil
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 TBS. Feta Cheese – crumbled (optional)
Arrange lettuce on plate; add all remaining ingredients except feta, in whatever amount you desire, and arrange neatly on plate. Top generously with feta cheese. For the dressing: combine all ingredients in a jar or tupperware container with a lid; cover with lid and shake vigorously. Adjust seasoning as desired (if dressing is too tart, add more oil or a dash of sugar). If adding feta: add crumbled feta, shake again, and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes. Drizzle dressing over salad, add fresh cracked pepper and enjoy!